Yahoo hosting to cease

Worrying!
There is a warning from Yahoo:
Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members.
Are there any plans to move to another server?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Comments

• Many groups have moved from Yahoo groups to groups.io
    I believe Groups.io offers a free and almost seamless migration.

This is definitely something we should consider.

I am not familiar with the administration of the migration process itself,
    but what I've seen and experienced is positive.
    As a user, all I had to do was create a single account on groups.io. After
    the migration of each group, it was fully available for me in groups.io.

/Mark

Op za 19 okt. 2019 11:10 schreef p_yah@... [tinycad] <
    tinycad@...>:

>
    >
    > Worrying!
    > There is a warning from Yahoo:
    > Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host
    > user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded
    > after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going
    > away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group
    > members.
    > Are there any plans to move to another server?
    >
    >
    >
    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    >
    >
    >

• I agree about groups.io as a good move.A? The Visual CADD group transferred there some time ago and I have been impressed!A? The whole transfer process seemed very smooth to me (as a user).A? Can't speak for the admin side - but reading the blurb it sounded relatively straight forward.

Ollie

• The yahoogroups will stop in the coming month. It is better to transfer to new server (such as groups.io) ASAP.
  • Yes, groups.io is a good choice. A number of groups I am with have done so and it seems to work seamlessly. However the fly in the ointment is that to port a Yahoo group they have just added the requirement to sign up for at least a year as a Premium group at $110 a year. At the end of the year it is allowed to change to being a free group.

They do make the port very easy doing all the work. The other groups I've seen ported did not have even the slightest hiccup. An advantage of being a Premium group for the port is that the members can be ported directly. As a free group you have to send out invitations that the members must reply to if they want to have membership in the new group.

The other possibly significant issue is that the free group has 1 GB of file storage while the Premium group has 10 GB.

Rick C.

---In tinycad@..., wrote :

Many groups have moved from Yahoo groups to groups.io
    I believe Groups.io offers a free and almost seamless migration.

This is definitely something we should consider.

I am not familiar with the administration of the migration process itself,
    but what I've seen and experienced is positive.
    As a user, all I had to do was create a single account on groups.io. After
    the migration of each group, it was fully available for me in groups.io.

/Mark

Op za 19 okt. 2019 11:10 schreef p_yah@... mailto:p_yah@... [tinycad] <
    tinycad@... mailto:tinycad@...>:

>
    >
    > Worrying!
    > There is a warning from Yahoo:
    > Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host
    > user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded
    > after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going
    > away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group
    > members.
    > Are there any plans to move to another server?
    >
    >
    >
    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    >
    >
    >

• How many users are there? I hardly use tinycad now but wouldn't mind giving a small donation to cover part of the transfer cost.

Kind regards

Vic

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Rakewell Limited. 24 Putnams Drive, Aston Clinton, AYLESBURY, Bucks. HP22 5HH England UK. Tel: +44 (0)1296
    632491 Email: vic@... Web: http://www.rakewell.com/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
  • Hi,

Just to say many thanks for all the effort moving the site - a painful job well done!

Kind regards,

Andy B.

• Thanks for all the effort.

This is much easier to peruse and search than the Yahoo! Groups web pages, but I will miss having new posts by email. I'm not devoted enough to be able to keep this site open in a browser tab to get notifications.

To me this is a net loss because I can and do respond to email much more frequently than I will be able to check for new posts on a website.

• You can get your email notifications back by:

1. Go to "Account Options" -> Edit Profile (menu on toolbar top-right)
    2. Go to "Notification Preferences"
    3. Click away selecting what you want to be emailed about!

Matt.

• Thanks Matt.

I had already marked all the options, and I did receive a link by email noting that you had replied to this. But it was only a link and did not include the content of your reply.

What I don't see is a way to notify of new discussions/topics that I haven't already participated in. Receiving the content via email would be even better.

Yahoo Groups and groups.io work(ed) as a bit of a both/and system (email and web forum). This appears to be more web and less email. (Noted: This web interface works very nicely, I do like it.) I understand the problem with groups.io; it is what it is, and I see a lot of work that has gone into this, thanks for that.

I don't mean to be negative, and I'm not saying the web forum is bad, just noting that it is a change in method that won't work well for me. My preference (for what its worth) is working with email.

Hopefully this format will work better for others to be able to participate instead.

-- Alan