New library components in TinyCAD

I'm getting ready to start a new schematic and realize a handful of library components I will need are not available. I understand that I will need to create this components myself. Is there any advice the group can recommend before I put time into this process? I would eventually like to use my final schematic to build a PCB. Is there anything I should be aware of when building library components that will make this easier in the future?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Comments

• At the very least, check out the new TinyCAD site at www.tinycad.net . It is there specifically for people to share symbols, but it also has a better on-line version of the user manual.

Don
    Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2018 11:34 AM
    To: tinycad@...
    Subject: [tinycad] New library components in TinyCAD

I'm getting ready to start a new schematic and realize a handful of library components I will need are not available. I understand that I will need to create this components myself. Is there any advice the group can recommend before I put time into this process? I would eventually like to use my final schematic to build a PCB. Is there anything I should be aware of when building library components that will make this easier in the future?

• I don't know what advice I'd give when building the footprint, but when using library parts be sure to check and double check them. Libraries are not guaranteed to be free of errors.

Rick C.

• Thanks for the advice -- I'll be sure to take a harder look at the home page.

@Rick: can you elaborate more when you suggest double checking libraries? Are you saying verify 3rd party library components before using them or to be extra careful (in some way?) when developing your own? I noticed there are error checking functions for schematics but didn't see them for library components. Verifying any library components against datasheets is prudent advice.

• I for one can vouch for the FACT that TinyCAD is by far, the easiest software to create new symbols that exists. Period.
    I do most of my PCB work with EasyEDA and then order through JLCPCB, but I always sketch things out in TinyCAD first because it is so quick and simple.

Which components are you missing?
  • I'm saying don't rely on other's libraries to be thoroughly accurate. It is your project and you will do well to build your own libraries of footprints. If you wish to use someone else's footprint, it is your responsibility to verify that it matches your part. You may be surprised at how many things can go wrong with footprints.

Rick C.

• Rick; Great advice, thank you. You've mentioned footprints a couple times now. I will be sure to double check this on libraries I use. Thanks again.

• @david: Probably the biggest one I'll need to build is a 65816 PDIP but also a handful of support parts (EEPROM, I2C->parallel, etc..)

I do find TinyCAD to be great in terms of quick to come up to speed. So quick in fact I was wondering if I was missing something. Which is why I was glad to find this community and posted here. :)

Can TinyCAD schematics be easily exported into PCB tools? Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks for the feedback!

• Actually, my advice may not be so important with TinyCAD. I was thinking of the footprint as in the layout. But the TinyCAD won't have a footprint, it is for the schematic and so has a symbol with pin connections, but no layout info other than possibly the name of the package used in layout. So my bad.

When you get to layout, you will want to verify any footprint you use from an outside source. While mistakes are not at all frequent, they do happen in libraries, mostly with seldom used footprints. I've read about problems like this in the FreePCB libraries from time to time.

I hope this is more clear. It is to me. lol

Rick C.

---In tinycad@..., wrote :

Rick; Great advice, thank you. You've mentioned footprints a couple times now. I will be sure to double check this on libraries I use. Thanks again.